” A new journey to be started. A new promise to be fulfilled. A new page to be written. Go forth unto this waiting world with glass in hand, all you wine lovers, the open bottle awaits. Be creative. Be adventurous. Be original. And above all else, be brave. For knowing wine is your greatest ally, your greatest tool. Use it wisely.”
- Wonder Woman (Kind of...)

Friday, January 14, 2011

Chateau Le Coteau Margaux 2003



 After escaping the flu all Christmas and feeling pretty invincible, I woke up feeling lousy on Tuesday morning and after two days of sleep and bad daytime tv, I could take no more so armed with a packet of Neurofen Cold & Flu I coughed and spluttered my way into work yesterday. By 4.30 I was dreaming of re-runs of "The Good Life" and my hot water bottle - a sure sign that all was not right! Throwing the towel in I headed home but not before one of my suppliers made me a present of a bottle of this Margaux on his list to cheer me up.

A wine we stock in Cellars but unfortunately had not tried in a good while so all was definitely not a loss for the day. It's from the left bank so Cabernet Sauvignon based but wines from this appellation are typically not as full-bodied as it's neighbours. Considering the other two Margauxs we stock are Chateau Palmer and Chateau Brane-Cantenac, this is a great introduction to this area at only €29.99.
Feeling mildly better by dinner time I treated myself to a glass of it with some steak and mushrooms and although my senses were not at their best, it was delicious. A verdict seconded by Ruth when she came home.
In the glass it is not as dark as you might expect from a bordeaux blend but on the nose it has tobacco, green peppers and blackcherries. Plenty of fruit on the palate; again cherries and some blackcurrants and a lovely long vanilla finish. After two glasses of this and an early night I felt brand new today and it tasted way better than any lemsip I've ever had.
Till next Time
Clare
Cellars, the Big Wine Warehouse





http://wowireland.blogspot.com

CELLARS,NAAS ROAD:DEVENEYS, DUNDRUM:JUS DE VINE, PORTMARNOCK:THE VINTRY,RATHGAR

No comments:

Post a Comment