” A new journey to be started. A new promise to be fulfilled. A new page to be written. Go forth unto this waiting world with glass in hand, all you wine lovers, the open bottle awaits. Be creative. Be adventurous. Be original. And above all else, be brave. For knowing wine is your greatest ally, your greatest tool. Use it wisely.”
- Wonder Woman (Kind of...)

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cousino Macul Sauvignon Blanc and Un-Wooded Chardonnay


A Chilean white that I like? My preference is generally a red regardless of food pairings, I will always seek out an appropriate red wine to accompany a white wine dish, unless of course an Alsace great or a fat Burgundy, I will definitely do. I am always the girl in the corner with the garnet gums. My mother tells me it's due to porous teeth. Either way I have grown to accept the side effects of being a red wine lover and a travel toothbrush in a zip lock bag is very fashionable, in my opinion.
Clare introduced me to Cousino Macul, Antiguas Reservas, Cabernet Sauvignon. This is an elegant 14% Valle Del Maipo Cabernet. Aged in French oak for 12 months and bottle rested for a further 6 months prior to release. When you're looking for a red that packs a punch on a piece of ripe, slightly high Saint Agur this is your team mate. At €14.99 it slots in somewhere on my top 30 reds of 2010.
Yesterday I sampled their whites. I am not a massive New World Sauvignon fan. I think that's due to a combination of reasons. Tom's brainwash and too many girl's nights with inexpensively produced and acidified ''Sauvignon'' generally from the Marlborough region. This was a surprise though.... Cousino Macul Sauvignon Blanc 2009 had a really interesting multi faceted nose displaying typical New World Sauvignon characteristics, fresh, clean cool climate fruit teamed with cucumber, fresh cut grass, pineapple, sherbet and mango- makes your mouth water!. The palate was equally as grown up, granny smith apple and fresh green asparagus, quite savoury flavours and finishing relatively dry. Try it with some SuperQuinn frozen tiger prawns in butter, lemon juice and cracked pepper on the barbecue. They're half price at the moment and worth getting up in the middle of the night for. Cousino Macul, Sauvignon Blanc 2009 €11.90.
I was really impressed with their un- wooded Chardonnay. As an Old World Chardonnay fan I am always interested in the New World attempt at recreating the fat creamy palate and elegance of a Burgundy or a rested Gruner, as I recently discovered. Cousino Macul have done a really good job. The nose is tropical with honeyed fruit and orange peel. The palate is clean, soft, creamy with some waxy fruit  flavours and good acidity. I would want to drink this with Trish Deveney's chicken and parmesan signatory dish or a nice piece of Brie de Meaux. Cousino Macul Un-Oaked Chardonnay 2009 €11.90.
All available to purchase in Deveney's of Dundrum.
I'm a massive fan!
Ruth.

No comments:

Post a Comment