” A new journey to be started. A new promise to be fulfilled. A new page to be written. Go forth unto this waiting world with glass in hand, all you wine lovers, the open bottle awaits. Be creative. Be adventurous. Be original. And above all else, be brave. For knowing wine is your greatest ally, your greatest tool. Use it wisely.”
- Wonder Woman (Kind of...)

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Trimbach Muscat 2007 Alsace,France


Jean Trimbach was in town this week so I collared him for a chat about his harmonious Muscat and his not so harmonious singing for which he is also quite famous!

He "very" frequently sings.. to the tune of My Bonnie Lies over the Ocean:


My bottle lies over the ocean,
My bottle lies over the sea,
My bottle lies over the ocean
Oh Trimbach my bottle to me.

Trim-bach,Oh Trimbach,
Trimbach my bottle to meeee.
Trim-bach,Oh Trimbach,
Oh Trimbach my bottle to me.


His Muscat however is finely tuned and is relatively dry by normal muscat standards. The highly-scented nose of this wine leads into a flavour so fruity that you almost think you are eating ripe grapes.Believe it or not Muscat is one of the few grapes whose taste remains unaltered when vinified into wine.

The food of Alsace certainly has both German and Swiss influences mixed in with the obvious French ones and while visiting there I found it hard to escape a meal that did not feature ham,gammon or pork ribs.However they do a thing called a tarte flambee which is the thinnest pizza that you can image baked in a wood fired oven topped with creme fraiche,white cheese ,white onions and surprise surprise small pieces of rasher(!)Served piping hot directly from the oven... it is sublime, in fact I could live on it.

Prost!
Evelyn
THE VINTRY ,RATHGAR.


2 comments:

  1. Do you stock the Trimbach Muscat Evelyn? Maybe it's just me but Muscat seems to be pretty hard to find around Dublin.

    I too was hooked on tarte flambée when I lived over in Strasbourg - one day recently I had a random craving and decided to make it! Put various recipes together and came up with my own one:

    http://grapeescape.wordpress.com/tarte-flambee-recipe/

    Enjoy!
    Eamon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DO STOCK THE MUSCAT AND YES THEY ARE NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND...ONE YOU SEE AROUND A BIT IS THE ALASIA VINO DA TAVOLA.
    MMMM...TARTE FLAMBE...AS HOMER WOULD SAY!
    EVELYN

    ReplyDelete